Wednesday, May 7, 2014

How I learned to love Tofu

I've had this fascination with tofu ever since the day I saw it floating in my miso soup. The stuff is full of protein and also low in calories and fat. I've been on a quest to make it taste...well....not like "stuff", for lack of a better word. I always end up with what looks like a combination of wet stirofoam and paper towels. So today I got creative with this "stuff" and came out with something pretty damn good. I'm thinking the key is baking it to retain the crispy crust and chewy inside.
I began by pressing the water out of it using paper towels with a heavy pot on top. Then marinading it in a ginger soy organic mix for 15 minutes. Next came baking it in the oven on 350 degrees for 30 minutes (flipping halfway through)...and voila'! Good looking "stuff" came out.
Since I wasn't extremely hungry tonight, I paired it with fresh broccoli and greek yogurt. Saved the bigger meal for lunch on the road tomorrow...a spinach spring mix Asian tofu salad. Broccoli slaw, avocado, sesame sticks, rice noodles, lemon and miso dressing mix pairs nicely with the marinated tofu. I could be a fan!

No comments:

Post a Comment