Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Chicken and Okra Stew

I'm always on the hunt for quick, simple, healthy meals that can be packed and eaten for a few days. I love experimenting! This recipe was super easy to whip up and just might be one of my new favorites. Ingredients: 6 4 oz free range chicken breasts 2 tbsp olive or coconut oil 3 cups low sodium chicken broth 1 onion 1 bellpepper 4 cups fresh tomatoes 3 cups diced okra Cayenne pepper, black pepper and salt to taste 1 tablespoon minced garlic 1 bag corn Marinate chicken in broth and season (optional). Heat oil in large pot. Brown chicken 4-5 minutes on each side till golden. I sprinkled parsley on mine.
Remove chicken. Add onion, bellpepper, garlic, chicken broth, tomatoes and 1/2 cup water to pot. Bring to boiling, reduce heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes. Add chicken back to pot along with corn and okra. Simmer uncovered for 15 minutes. I finished mine by covering and simmering on extra low heat for another 10 minutes. This is great served over any grain (quinoa, brown, white or basmati rice, etc). Also great by itself for a light nighttime meal served with a salad.

2 comments:

  1. Yummmm...I will try this week!! I have all the ingredients...just put okra in the freezer!! It looks delish!!

    ReplyDelete